85 local, int’l journalists to join ITE HCMC 2017

Thousands of tourism businesses will take part in the International Travel Expo HCM City (ITE HCMC) 2017 from September 7 to 9 at the Saigon Exhibition & Convention Center (SECC). To be held for the 13th time, ITE HCMC 2017 provides an ideal marketing opportunity and excellent backdrop to enhance participants’ brand equity in the eyes of travel trade professionals and discerning end consumers. Hundreds of exhibitors and thousands of regional and local tourism stakeholders will benefit from this, the largest global tourism platform in the Mekong region, through the extensive networking opportunities, exclusive access to major stakeholders and key business insights into this growing industry it will offer. To meet the multi-faceted and cross-border business needs of global tourism businesses, ITE HCMC 2017 will again host a multitude of national pavilions set up by double the number of participating countries as last year, including Australia, Cambodia, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, the Philippines, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand, and Turkey. ITE HCMC 2017 expects an overall increase of 20 per cent in participation from last year. International and local airlines, hotels, resorts, tour companies and travel representatives from countries including Australia, Cambodia, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, the UAE and Việt Nam among others will add to the breadth of diversity. More cities and provinces in Việt Nam have also shown support and will participate in this year’s event, including…... [read more]

VietNamNet Bridge – Viet Nam is taking some of their best athletes to the 29th Southeast Asian Games in Malaysia this August, but it is little known that many have some interesting tales to tell. High hopes: Swimmer Nguyen Thi Anh Vien will shoulder the heaviest duty at the SEA Games. — File Photo At the Kuala Lumpur event, the men’s basketball team will be captained by 37-year-old Nguyen Manh Hung, who is a five-time SEA Games champion in taekwondo. Hung, who stands 1.80m tall, was trained to be a volleyball player at the age of 14 in Thanh Hoa Province. However, he shifted to practise taekwondo when the volleyball team disbanded because of a budget crunch three months later. He is well-known as the best athlete in the region in the above 80kg category. Hung found it hard to challenge a worthy rival who could beat him, leading to his triumph at the SEA Games five times in a row from 1999 to 2007. After retirement, Hung worked as a coach and became the head of Thanh Hoa’s Taekwondo Department. “When I was an athlete, coaches asked me to play basketball as a kind of exercise to strengthen my physique. However, the more I played it, the more I loved it,” said Hung, who trained in basketball regularly, apart from spending time on taekwondo, football, tennis and the catwalk as a model. He surprised everyone when he joined Saigon Heat to play professional basketball in 2014. After three years…... [read more]

A painting on "do" (poonah) paper in the Resistance series by George Burchett Hanoi (VNA) - Artworks inspired by conflicting fragments of lives, people and turmoil during wartime in Vietnam are on display at an exhibition of paintings and sculptures in Malaysia. Entitled Fractured, the exhibition explores the fragility of beauty inspired by conflict in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. Monaco-based artist Blake Ward showcases sculptures in which he aims to draw attention to the suffering of landmine victims in Vietnam. He has exhibited across the world including Europe, Southeast Asia, Canada, the US and Hong Kong, and has galleries in the US, Canada and Italy. “My language is the figure and I feel the need to comment on the human condition, sometimes distorted by demons, and other times enchanted by all that are pure within us,” he said.   Painter George Burchett, who was born in Hanoi, introduces The Resistence series depicting the narratives of heroic resistance. He was influenced strongly by his father, Australian journalist Wilfred Burchett, who worked as a war correspondent in Vietnam. The exhibition also displays paintings by soldier-artist Pham Van Luc, young talent Phan Dinh Khanh and veteran painter Phan Ke An. The exhibition will run until September 3 at the end of the George Town Festival, Penang, Malaysia. It’s a part of the George Town Festival, an annual celebration of arts, culture, heritage, and community. Inaugurated in 2010 in honour of George Town’s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the…... [read more]

At least 312 people were killed and more than 2,000 left homeless on Monday when heavy flooding hit Sierra Leone's capital of Freetown, leaving excavators to pull bodies from rubble and overwhelming the city's morgues. An AFP journalist saw several homes submerged in Regent village, a hilltop community, and corpses floating in the water in the Lumley West area of the city, as the president assured emergency services were doing all they could to tackle one of the worst natural disasters ever to hit the city. Red Cross spokesman Patrick Massaquoi told AFP the death toll was 312 but could rise further as his team continued to survey disaster areas in Freetown and tally the number of dead. Sierra Leone is one of the poorest countries in the world, according to UN indicators. "I counted over 300 bodies and more are coming," Mohamed Sinneh, a morgue technician at Freetown's Connaught Hospital, told AFP, having earlier described an "overwhelming number of dead" at the facility leaving no space to lay out every body. Many more of the dead were taken to private morgues, Sinneh said. President Ernest Bai Koroma said in an address to the nation broadcast on television late Monday that an emergency response centre had been established at Regent, the worst-affected area. He appealed for unity from a nation still struggling with the legacy of Ebola and a long civil war. "Our nation has once again been gripped by grief. Many of our compatriots have lost their lives,…... [read more]

Entitled Fractured, the exhibition explores the fragility of beauty inspired by conflict in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. Monaco-based artist Blake Ward showcases sculptures in which he aims to draw attention to the suffering of landmine victims in Vietnam. A painting on "do" (poonah) paper in the Resistance series by George Burchett  He has exhibited across the world including Europe, Southeast Asia, Canada, the US and Hong Kong, and has galleries in the US, Canada and Italy. “My language is the figure and I feel the need to comment on the human condition, sometimes distorted by demons, and other times enchanted by all that are pure within us,” he said. Painter George Burchett, who was born in Hanoi, introduces The Resistance series depicting the narratives of heroic resistance. He was influenced strongly by his father, Australian journalist Wilfred Burchett, who worked as a war correspondent in Vietnam. The exhibition also displays paintings by soldier-artist Pham Van Luc, young talent Phan Dinh Khanh and veteran painter Phan Ke An. The exhibition will run until September 3 at the end of the George Town Festival, Penang, Malaysia. It’s a part of the George Town Festival, an annual celebration of arts, culture, heritage, and community. Inaugurated in 2010 in honor of George Town’s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the festival transforms the city into a global stage, showcasing world-class performances, installations and collaborations from international and local artists. “The…... [read more]

FREETOWN: At least 312 people were killed and more than 2,000 left homeless on Monday (Aug 14) when heavy flooding hit Sierra Leone's capital of Freetown, leaving morgues overflowing and residents desperately searching for loved ones. Residents struggled to traverse roads that were turned into churning rivers of mud after Sierra Leone's capital of Freetown was struck by heavy rains, photo: AFP An AFP journalist at the scene saw bodies being carried away and houses submerged in two areas of the city, where roads turned into churning rivers of mud and corpses were washed up on the streets. Red Cross spokesman Patrick Massaquoi told AFP the death toll was 312 but could rise further as his team continued to survey disaster areas in Freetown and tally the number of dead. Mohamed Sinneh, a morgue technician at Freetown's Connaught Hospital, said 180 bodies had been received so far at his facility alone, many of them children, leaving no space to lay what he described as the "overwhelming number of dead". Many more bodies were taken to private morgues, Sinneh said. Images obtained by AFP showed a ferocious churning of dark orange mud coursing down a steep street in the capital, while videos posted by local residents showed people waist and chest deep in water trying to traverse the road. Fatmata Sesay, who lives on the hilltop area of Juba, said she, her three…... [read more]

At least 18 people including foreigners were killed and a dozen others wounded in a "terrorist attack" by suspected jihadists on a Turkish restaurant in the Burkina Faso capital, the government said Monday. Two assailants were also killed by security forces who launched a counter-assault following Sunday night's attack on the restaurant popular with foreigners, Communications Minister Remis Dandjinou said. It was not clear how many gunmen were involved. The security operation "has ended" but searches are continuing in buildings in the Ouagadougou neighbourhood around the restaurant, Dandjinou told a press briefing early Monday carried on social media. The Istanbul restaurant is just 200 metres (yards) from a hotel and cafe targeted in an assault in January 2016 that left 30 people dead and 71 wounded, many of them foreigners. That attack was claimed by the Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) group. A government statement described the latest deadly shooting as a "terrorist attack", while President Roch Marc Christian Kabore condemned it as "a despicable attack that has Ouagadougou in mourning." "The fight against terrorism is a long-term struggle," he said in a Twitter message. A police officer who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity cited witnesses as saying at least two assailants arrived on a motorcycle around 9:00 pm (2100 GMT) on Sunday armed with Kalashnikovs, and opened fire on the Istanbul restaurant. A waiter also said he saw "three…... [read more]

The suspect, a 36-year-old Algerian man, has been hospitalized after police shot him five times. The suspected terror attack follows a string of assaults that have hit France since January 2015, claiming more than 230 lives. The servicemen were hit by a BMW which drove down a quiet street in the upmarket western Paris suburb of Levallois-Perret at around 8:00 a.m. (0600 GMT). It accelerated as it neared the troops, rammed into them and then sped away. Three were shocked and lightly hurt, while the other three sustained more serious injuries which are not life-threatening, officials said. "I heard a huge crash which I thought was the sound of scaffolding being put up," said Thierry Chappe, an AFP employee who lives in a building opposite the crime scene. Some 300 police later tracked the rented vehicle to a motorway near the northern port of Calais. After a chase, officers opened fire, wounding the unarmed driver who was arrested then taken to hospital, sources involved in the manhunt said. The suspect lived in the Yvelines suburb of Paris and had no previous convictions. Pictures showed the black BMW with a crumpled front end and smashed windscreen on the A16 motorway. An AFP journalist saw masked police carrying out a search in Bezons in the northwestern Paris suburbs. Soldiers on the street The servicemen targeted in the assault were part of the 7,000-strong anti-terrorism Sentinelle force set up in January 2015 after jihadist gunmen attacked the offices of satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo,…... [read more]

PARIS: French police shot and arrested a suspect in a dramatic motorway chase Wednesday (Aug 9) after a car smashed into soldiers outside a barracks in a Paris suburb, injuring six. An armed French soldier patrols next to a forensic police officer near the site where a car slammed into soldiers in Levallois-Perret, outside Paris, on August 9, 2017 AFP/STEPHANE DE SAKUTIN The suspected terror attack follows a string of assaults that have hit France since January 2015, claiming more than 230 lives. The suspect, a 36-year-old Algerian man, has been hospitalised after police shot him five times. The servicemen were hit by a BMW which drove down a quiet street in the upmarket western Paris suburb of Levallois-Perret at around 8.00am (0600 GMT). It accelerated as it neared the troops, rammed into them and then sped away. Three were shocked and lightly hurt, while the other three sustained more serious injuries which are not life-threatening, officials said. "I heard a huge crash which I thought was the sound of scaffolding being put up," said Thierry Chappe, an AFP employee who lives in a building opposite the crime scene. Some 300 police later tracked the rented vehicle to a motorway near the northern port of Calais. After a chase, officers opened fire, wounding the unarmed driver who was arrested then taken to hospital, sources involved in the manhunt said. The…... [read more]

North Korea has criticized Washington's decision to ban U.S. passport holders from visiting the North, with state media describing it on Friday as a "sordid" attempt to limit human exchanges. The North's KCNA news agency, citing an unidentified spokesman for the foreign ministry, said there was no reason for foreigners to feel threatened while in North Korea and that citizens from around the world were encouraged to visit. "Our doors are always open for all Americans who visit our country out of good will and wish to see our reality," the spokesman said. The U.S. State Department said earlier this week the ban would take effect on Sept. 1, although some, including journalists and humanitarian workers, may apply for exceptions. The ban will make reclusive North Korea the only country to which U.S. citizens are banned from travelling. It follows the death in June of U.S. student Otto Warmbier, who was sentenced in North Korea last year to 15 years' hard labor for trying to steal an item bearing a propaganda item from his hotel. Warmbier was in a coma when he was released by the North on humanitarian grounds and circumstances of his death remain unclear. KCNA did not name Warmbier in Friday's report but said the North had delivered "just punishment" to some U.S. citizens who had carried out acts against the regime. North Korea is currently holding two Korean-American academics and a missionary in addition to a Canadian pastor and three South Korean nationals who were…... [read more]




Links Topics : http://news.c10mt.com/2017/08/85-local-intl-journalists-to-join-ite.html