City seeks more funding sources for infrastructure projects

Đồng Nai closes illegal road-railway crossings The Đồng Nai Traffic Safety Committee, in co-ordination with local authorities, has closed all illegal road-railway crossing in the province since March this year. The work followed the request of Standing Deputy Prime Minister Trương Hòa Bình and the National Traffic Safety Committee. Nguyễn Bôn, chief of the secretariat of the Đồng Nai Traffic Safety Committee, said the north-south railway system ran through five districts and towns of Đồng Nai Province with a length of 90km. Local authorities set up 57 road-railway crossings with mobile warning system, guards and signals. However, residents opened 66 illegal road-railway crossings without any warning signals, mainly in Biên Hòa City and Trảng Bom and Xuân Lộc districts. The provincial authorities checked and decided to keep 11 crossings which are near industrial zones and residential areas. The province is setting up watchtowers, installing equipment and assigning guards to keep close watch at the 11 crossings all day and night. Bôn said locals’ awareness was still low, so they could re-open the illegal crossings. In the future, the Đồng Nai Traffic Safety Committee would improve education, and wards people’s committees would strengthen inspection, imposing appropriate penalties on violators. The province has witnessed five railway accidents, so far, this year, according to the Đồng Nai Traffic Safety Committee. The accidents killed six people and injured eight others, an increase by one and eight compared with the same period last year, respectively. Reasons for the accidents were locals crossing the railway line…... [read more]

Public capital disbursement in HCMC reaches 50.5% of planVan Nam A flood control project in HCMC deployed under the PPP format. Many public projects in the city are falling behind schedule due to slow capital disbursement - PHOTO: VAN NAM HCMC - Capital disbursed for public projects in HCMC in the first seven months of 2017 reached only 50.5% of the year’s plan, lower than targeted, announced the city’s Department of Planning and Investment at a meeting on August 3. According to the department, the city is allocated nearly VND26.2 trillion (about US$1.152 billion) for 2017 from the State budget, official development assistance (ODA) and the city’s own budget, for public projects. As of the end of July, over VND13.2 trillion had been disbursed, 50.5% of the plan. In particular, VND722 billion from the central State budget was disbursed, only 22% of the full-year plan, VND2.9 trillion from ODA, 71.9%, and VND9.59 trillion from the city’s budget, 50.8%. The pace of capital disbursement was slower than expected due to many reasons. For capital from the State budget, the city was allocated VND3.2 trillion to build Children’s Hospital and Oncology Hospital 2. The investor, the Works Construction and Management Authority under the city’s Department of Health, only began to disburse capital for the projects after the financial management agency finished paperwork. ODA required for the city’s public projects in 2017 was estimated at VND7.7 trillion but the city was allocated only VND4 trillion. Therefore, the city could not complete the projects…... [read more]

PM Phuc urges ministers to take action to achieve growth targetsTu Hoang Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc speaks at the Government’s regular meeting on August 3 - PHOTO: VGP HANOI – Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc urged ministers to take specific and drastic measures in the last five months of 2017 to achieve the nation’s socio-economic growth targets, heard the Government’s regular meeting on August 3. The Government leader and Cabinet members discussed ways to solve shortcomings in administrative procedures, equitization and divestment of State-owned enterprises, slow disbursement of official development assistance (ODA) and high production costs and administrative fees. The Prime Minister stressed that capital disbursement for public projects must be accelerated and total investment capital in the economy should account for 34-35% of gross domestic product (GDP). Heads of ministries, departments and localities were asked to complete their assigned tasks to obtain the country’s growth target The Government leader underlined responsibilities of ministers and leaders of cities and provinces for identifying weaknesses and shortcomings in their management and adopting appropriate solutions to improve management capacity. Phuc pointed out some programs moving at a slow pace, including the program to turn household businesses into companies and equitization of State-owned enterprises. There were still numerous difficulties and shortcomings in economic development, including the attenuation of the mining industry, high logistics and transport costs, and slow capital disbursement. According to the Prime Minister, dengue, which has made 50,000 people hospitalized and killed 17 people since the beginning of this year, was…... [read more]

Harvesting coffee in Dak Lak (Source: VNA)   Dak Lak (VNA) – The Central Highlands province of Dak Lak has attracted many official development assistance (ODA) and foreign direct investment (FDI) projects as well as non-governmental assistance, including funds from the Republic of Korea (RoK). The provincial Department of Planning and Investment reported that Dak Lak now houses three ODA projects valued at a total 12.5 million USD funded by the Korea International Cooperation Agency. Two other projects worth 47.3 million USD cover food, cosmetics and medicine production and solar power. Dak Lak recently held an investment promotion seminar in the RoK’s Joellabuk province with more than 40 businesses participating. During the seminar, Solarpark Global I&D of the RoK inked a memorandum of understanding with Dak Lak on a solar power project, and asked for the province’s licence to carry out another project worth 45 million USD. RoK firms have also invested in education, water supply and waste collection and treatment in Dak Lak. Such projects have helped the locality improve its infrastructure and reduce poverty, especially in remote, far-flung and ethnic minority-inhabited areas. The province wants RoK investments in high-tech agriculture, with priority given to projects in Ea Kpam commune and Ea Pok town in Cu Mgar district, and Ea Tu and Hoa Xuan communes in Buon Ma Thuot city. In the first six months of this year, Dak Lak lured 29 investment…... [read more]

HCM City, August 4 (VNA) – Vice Chairman of the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee Tran Vinh Tuyen has asked local departments and districts to disburse all public investment capital from 2017 by the end of January 2018.  At a meeting on August 3 to review the city’s disbursement of public investment capital, Deputy Director of the municipal Department of Planning and Investment Tran Thi Binh Minh said more than 26.18 trillion VND (1.15 billion USD) has been allocated from the State budget to HCM City so far this year.  The city had disbursed 13.21 trillion VND (581.1 million USD) as of July 31, 50 percent of the sum planned to be disbursed this year. That includes 722 billion VND (31.8 million USD) of capital from the central budget, 22 percent of total State capital subject to disbursement.  HCM City also disbursed 2.9 trillion VND (127.6 million USD) or 72 percent of Official Development Assistance (ODA) capital allocated by central agencies as of July 31. Meanwhile, local projects need about 7.7 trillion VND (338.7 million USD) of ODA capital this year.  Minh said as the provided ODA capital has met about 50 percent of local demand, HCM City will struggle to soon finish many projects.  This is also a reason behind the slow payment of contracts signed with foreign partners, which could force the city to pay fines for late payment, she added.  Meanwhile, about 9.59 trillion VND (421.9 million USD)…... [read more]

Vice Chairman of the HCM City People’s Committee Tran Vinh Tuyen has asked local departments and districts to disburse all public investment capital from 2017 by the end of January 2018. Workers at the contruction site of metro route No 1, which is partly funded by ODA capital, in HCM City At a meeting on August 3 to review the city’s disbursement of public investment capital, Deputy Director of the municipal Department of Planning and Investment Tran Thi Binh Minh said more than 26.18 trillion VND (1.15 billion USD) has been allocated from the State budget to HCM City so far this year. The city had disbursed 13.21 trillion VND (581.1 million USD) as of July 31, 50 percent of the sum planned to be disbursed this year. That includes 722 billion VND (31.8 million USD) of capital from the central budget, 22 percent of total State capital subject to disbursement. HCM City also disbursed 2.9 trillion VND (127.6 million USD) or 72 percent of Official Development Assistance (ODA) capital allocated by central agencies as of July 31. Meanwhile, local projects need about 7.7 trillion VND (338.7 million USD) of ODA capital this year. Minh said as the provided ODA capital has met about 50 percent of local demand, HCM City will struggle to soon finish many projects. This is also a reason behind the slow payment of contracts signed with foreign partners, which could force the city to pay fines for late payment, she added. Meanwhile, about 9.59 trillion…... [read more]

VietNamNet Bridge – Quite a few transport projects in Ha Noi’s rural areas are not up to scratch due to lack of capital and difficulties in disbursing investments. A temporary bridge across the Day River in My Duc District, Ha Noi. — Photo hanoimoi.com.vn Nguyen Duc Toan, deputy head of the transport infrastructure management division under Ha Noi’s Department of Transport, told the Vietnam News Agency (VNA) that the rural transportation system lacks water drainage systems, signs and technical infrastructure. The system of roads across fields satisfies local economic development, but it needs continuous improvement. Many localities invest in rural areas’ transport based on the current situation, not on planning. Toan said transportation system investment in Ha Noi’s rural areas lacks comprehensiveness, only focusing on road upgrades but not on building new roads and replacing weak and temporary bridges. Vu Hoang, vice president of the Ha Noi Road and Bridge Association, told VNA that the rural transport system has yet to meet the requirements of agricultural production. The roads in some places are so narrow that trucks cannot enter the fields. This, in turn, increases production costs and product prices. For many years, residents of My Duc, Ung Hoa, Soc Son, Chuong My, Thanh Oai districts have had to cross degraded bridges, resulting in a drownings at My Luong floating bridge in Chuong My District in July 2015 and at Seu Market floating bridge crossing Ung Hoa and My Duc districts in June 2016. My Luong floating bridge spanning over…... [read more]

Workers at the contruction site of metro route No 1, which is partly funded by ODA capital, in HCM City (Photo: VNA) HCM City (VNA) – Vice Chairman of the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee Tran Vinh Tuyen has asked local departments and districts to disburse all public investment capital from 2017 by the end of January 2018. At a meeting on August 3 to review the city’s disbursement of public investment capital, Deputy Director of the municipal Department of Planning and Investment Tran Thi Binh Minh said more than 26.18 trillion VND (1.15 billion USD) has been allocated from the State budget to HCM City so far this year. The city had disbursed 13.21 trillion VND (581.1 million USD) as of July 31, 50 percent of the sum planned to be disbursed this year. That includes 722 billion VND (31.8 million USD) of capital from the central budget, 22 percent of total State capital subject to disbursement. HCM City also disbursed 2.9 trillion VND (127.6 million USD) or 72 percent of Official Development Assistance (ODA) capital allocated by central agencies as of July 31. Meanwhile, local projects need about 7.7 trillion VND (338.7 million USD) of ODA capital this year. Minh said as the provided ODA capital has met about 50 percent of local demand, HCM City will struggle to soon finish many projects. This is also a reason behind the slow payment of contracts signed with foreign partners, which could…... [read more]

Workers at the contruction site of metro route No 1, which is partly funded by ODA capital, in HCM City (Photo: VNA) HCM City (VNA) – Vice Chairman of the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee Tran Vinh Tuyen has asked local departments and districts to disburse all public investment capital from 2017 by the end of January 2018. At a meeting on August 3 to review the city’s disbursement of public investment capital, Deputy Director of the municipal Department of Planning and Investment Tran Thi Binh Minh said more than 26.18 trillion VND (1.15 billion USD) has been allocated from the State budget to HCM City so far this year. The city had disbursed 13.21 trillion VND (581.1 million USD) as of July 31, 50 percent of the sum planned to be disbursed this year. That includes 722 billion VND (31.8 million USD) of capital from the central budget, 22 percent of total State capital subject to disbursement. HCM City also disbursed 2.9 trillion VND (127.6 million USD) or 72 percent of Official Development Assistance (ODA) capital allocated by central agencies as of July 31. Meanwhile, local projects need about 7.7 trillion VND (338.7 million USD) of ODA capital this year. Minh said as the provided ODA capital has met about 50 percent of local demand, HCM City will struggle to soon finish many projects. This is also a reason behind the slow payment of contracts signed with foreign partners, which could…... [read more]

HCM City-Long Thanh-Dau Giay Highway funded by Official Development Assistance of Japan International Cooperation Agency. — VNA/VNS Photo Manh Linh Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has called for faster disbursement of Official Development Assistance (ODA) capital and concessional loans following slow disbursement in the first half of 2017. The Ministry of Planning and Investment reported that from 1993, when Viet Nam repaired relations with international sponsors, to June 2017, the country inked agreements on non-refundable loans and aid worth some $82.61 billion. As of the end of June 2017, 810 programmes and projects were being implemented with total undisbursed capital of about $21.17 billion. The sum will be disbursed from now through 2026 according to the agreements’ schedules, but most of the sum, $17.49 billion, is set to be disbursed between 2017 and 2020. Total ODA capital and concessional loans able to be disbursed in 2017 is about $4.6 billion but only 33 per cent, or $1.5 billion, was disbursed in the year’s first half, according to the ministry. Chairing a meeting with ministries, sectors and localities in Ha Noi on Tuesday, PM Phuc said all of the signed ODA capital and concessional loans must be disbursed on schedule, adding that each project owner must review their capacity and responsibility and withdraw or seek other funding sources if they realise their incompetence. He instructed the Ministry of Planning and Investment to review ODA projects and prioritise projects that will be completed in 2017. …... [read more]




Links Topics : http://news.c10mt.com/2017/08/city-seeks-more-funding-sources-for.html