Vietnam’s world muay champion slams Canadian fighter for ‘promoting his own image’

Senior artist in the Chinese self-defense martial art of Wing Chun, Pierre Francois Flores, is in Vietnam for the second time to once again challenge local fighters on what he says is a journey to promote the authenticity of traditional martial arts, after winning two fights last year. Flores became known across Asia last year after responding to a challenge from Chinese mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Xu Xiao Dong. Xu had issued the challenge to all traditional Chinese martial arts masters following a 10-second victory over a Tai Chi master that went viral. Xu, a 38-year-old self-taught MMA fighter, said that the traditional martial arts have become outdated and are now only good for keeping the body fit, while freestyle fighting and boxing are more effective when it comes to combat. In Flores’ invitation on Facebook, he referred to Xu’s fight as a “necessary awakening in the face of a phenomenon that threatens the credibility of martial arts.” The fight between Xu and Flores never transpired.  In a interview with VnExpress on Wednesday, Nguyen Tran Duy Nhat, who has made history by becoming the first Vietnamese fighter to win the International Federation of Muay Thai Amateur World Championship seven times, spoke differently about Flores’ motivation in Vietnam. Nguyen Tran Duy Nhat said Pierre Francois Flores is not qualified enough to represent Vietnamese martial arts. In his latest statement, Flores said Vietnamese people are angry at him because he does not represent the country’s martial arts. What do you think… [Read full story]


Link and

Links Topics :