A Day In the Crunk Life

I always love reading what other people do and eat for a full day's time. Maybe that makes me creepy and stalker-ish (I also love to slyly check out what the folks in front of me at the grocery store have in their carts). But for the other weirdos like me, I thought it'd be fun to share a typical day in the life of Bianca (with food photos, of course!).

On work days, I wake up around 7 a.m., typically surrounded by six kitties who've likely been attempting to will me awake for hours. My 80-pound mutt Datsun, who gets the other half of the bed, sleeps way past the alarm though. I shower, wash my face, and settle into a tasty breakfast.

This morning, that brekkie was two slices of Whole Grain Toast with Marmite and Tofu "Cottage Cheeze":

I love this breakfast!!! I make my tofu cottage cheeze by mixing plain firm tofu with a few tablespoons of vegan mayo, a splash of soymilk, and a pinch of evap. cane juice. I washed this down with iced green tea. And I typically read magazines — Rolling Stone, VegNews, Vegetarian Times — while I eat breakfast.

After breakfast, I clean up the dishes, get dressed, put my face on, and straighten my hair. Then I head to the Memphis Flyer office, the alt-weekly newspaper I write for. This morning, I arrived around 9 a.m. and immediately made several phone calls to gather information for my stories that are due on Monday. Then I checked my e-mail, which always takes FOREVER. I typically get over 100 messages everyday, many of them are folks asking me to list their art show or gala in our paper's calendar of events, which I'm also responsible for.

At noon, I left the office to drive back home for lunch. I usually go home to eat lunch since I live about 10 minutes from work. And I typically eat leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Today that was a tasty Green Bean & Tofu Sesame Stir-fry:

I'd marinated some tofu in the basic Asian marinade from Veganomicon on Tuesday night. And for dinner on Wednesday, I tossed that tofu with some cornstarch, fried it in a little sesame oil, and added fresh, local green beans and bella mushrooms. I served it with some delicious smoked spelt that Mihl of Seitan Is My Motor sent me from Germany in a care package. The leftovers were just as tasty as the night before.

After lunch, I drove back to the office — worked on entering calendar listings, conducted several long phone interviews for stories, and blogged about this delicious vegan pizza I ate for the Flyer's Hungry Memphis food blog. I ate a piece of dark chocolate with almonds around 3:30 p.m.

Around 4:30 p.m., I snacked at my desk on some assorted veggies — cherry tomatoes, celery, radishes, and cucumbers — with black-eyed pea hummus. And then at 5 p.m., I left work for the gym. On Thursdays, I typically go to a Fight Club boxing class! It always kicks my ass. Tonight, we did over 100 lunges before hitting the boxing bags with gloves. I'm like Mike Tyson.

After boxing, I drove home, walked my doggy, and heated up this delicious Big Ass Veggie Burrito from Skinny Bitch In the Kitch:

This is obviously a pre-rolled picture. I made these for dinner on Sunday night, and I've been re-heating the fillings for fresh burritos all week. The fillings were made up of black beans, brown rice, nacho Teese sauce, and a veggie mix of squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, and more. Tonight, I ate my burrito with a few Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos (a guilty vegan pleasure!). Oh, and I watched L.A. Ink on TLC while I ate my burrito.

After dinner, I always clean up and sweep my concrete floors. With seven fuzzy animals, daily sweeping is a must! When that was over, I whipped up this amazing Strawberry Watermelon Slushee from Vegan Soul Kitchen for dessert:

Wow, people! If you have VSK, please make this (if you don't, the recipe is here)! It's simply frozen watermelon juice ice cubes, frozen strawberries, agave, and lime. And it's so perfect! I've been having such a good time with Bryant Terry's watermelon chapter.

I enjoyed my slushee while driving to East Memphis to hit up Target and Whole Foods, about 20 minutes from my crib. I shopped around and headed back home. Here I am at 11:25 p.m. making this entry. Blogging is typically my last task of the night.

So there you have it....not all that exciting. And not really very crunk. But hey, it's a Thursday. I'm sure Saturday and Sunday will be way more exciting, but you'll have to wait 'til my next post on Sunday night to find out!